Reciprocity | Professional Engineer

Reciprocity is Ohio’s application process whereby a currently-licensed professional engineer or professional surveyor in good standing may apply for an Ohio license based on their license in another state or U.S. jurisdiction.  The Board does not automatically grant an Ohio license because an individual is licensed in another jurisdiction.

Professional engineer reciprocity applicants must have passed the NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering exam and NCEES Principles and Practice of Engineering exam. Applicants must have an accredited engineering degree and a minimum of four to eight years of engineering experie

P.E. Reciprocity Application and Instructions

Applying for Reciprocity

Laws and rules 

Ohio R.C. 4733.19 summary

  • A person registered or licensed to engage in the practice of engineering or surveying by a proper authority of a state, territory, or possession of the United States, or the District of Columbia, who, in the opinion of the state board of registration for professional engineers and surveyors, meets the requirements of this chapter, based on verified evidence, may, upon application and payment of the established fee, be registered. Any person who seeks registration as a professional surveyor under this section must pass a two-hour professional practice examination, devoted to the laws and practices of this state prior to receiving such registration.
  • Must be licensed in another state
  • Must have met the licensing requirements in Ohio at the time their license was issued in another state


Education Requirements

  • Four-year EAC/ABET accredited engineering degree
  • Four-year engineering degree from outside the US plus an NCEES degree evaluation showing the degree meets the NCEES education standards
  • Four-year ETAC/ABET accredited engineering technology degree
  • An engineering master’s degree that is EAC/ABET accredited.
  • For applicants with a Master’s degree in engineering from a school with a similarly named EAC/ABET accredited engineering degree that have had their degree evaluated by NCEES Credential Evaluations, the board will review these applications on a case-by-case basis to determine if they meet the education standards.


  • Applicants with EAC/ABET accredited degrees must have completed four years of acceptable engineering experience
  • Applicants with ETAC/ABET accredited degrees must have completed eight years of acceptable engineering experience


  • All applicants must have taken and passed the FE and PE exams. There are no exceptions for either exam

Application process

Click here to access the online licensing portal. All application must go through the online portal. The instructions for the online licensing portal below give step by step instructions for creating an account in the online portal.


I do not have an NCEES record

You will need to submit-

  • Completed online application
  • Official college transcripts
    • Hard copy of transcripts
    • Electronic transcripts directly from the school if necessary
    • Photocopies, scans, and unofficial transcripts will not be accepted.
  • Verification of exams and current license from state boards
    • Most states use NCEES’s verification request system
    • For states that do not use NCEES’s verification request system, the verification must come directly from the state board. Scans and photocopies will not be accepted.

I do have an NCEES record

  • MLE
  • Non-MLE

You will need to complete the online application and have your NCEES record transmitted to Ohio.

Application Requirements

  • Online application
  • Application fee paid online
  • Completed application
  • Photo
  • Records
    • NCEES record
    • Non-NCEES applications
      • Transcripts
      • Verifications
      • Signed employment record
      • 5 References, 3 must be PE or PS based on application

P.E. Temporary Permit Application

As part of the transition to the new licensing platform, temporary permit applications will now be included with the full P.E. Reciprocity appilcation, available through the secure online portal as of April 23, 2018.

P.S. Reciprocity

Go to P.S. Reciprocity page 

NCEES Contact Info

Contact NCEES for Council Record Information

Click on logo for NCEES Records Program


PO BOX 1687
CLEMSON SC 29633-1687

Online Links

NCEES Records Program

NCEES Home Page

NCEES Online Feedback Form


(800) 250-3196 U.S. TOLL FREE
(864) 654-6033 FAX