Comity | FAQ

The Ohio Board has recently moved locations. While we are in the process of updating applications to reflect the new address, please be sure to send all applications and supporting documents to 77 S High St Ste 2472 Columbus Ohio 43215. 


Comity [pronounced ‘comedy’ with a ‘t’] is Ohio’s application process whereby a currently-licensed professional engineer or professional surveyor in good standing may apply for an Ohio license based on their license in another state or U.S. jurisdiction. Other boards may use the terms endorsement or reciprocity instead of comity. The Board does not automatically grant an Ohio license because an individual is licensed in another jurisdiction.

Go to P.E. Comity page Go to P.E. comity applications and procedures page
Go to P.S. Comity page Go to P.S. comity applications and procedures page

Q I am a graduate of a four-year TAC/ABET accredited engineering technology program but only obtained five years of engineering experience prior to taking and passing the NCEES Principles and Practice of Engineering examination in my home state. Am I eligible for registration in Ohio?

A Ohio Revised Code section 4733.11 and Ohio Administrative Code section 4733-29-01 require graduates from a college curriculum in engineering technology to have eight years of practical experience in engineering work completed prior to taking the Principles and Practice of Engineering examination. Engineering experience must be earned after graduation from an engineering curriculum of four years or more; however, up to two years of co-op experience may be credited if it was completed after completion of the second year of college.

Q I have an engineering degree from outside of the United States. Am I eligible for registration in Ohio?

A You may be eligible for registration but you must first have your undergraduate engineering degree evaluated by NCEES Credentials Evaluations.

Q I had my degree evaluated by NCEES Credentials Evaluations service and the report identified deficiencies in basic math and science. I have been out of school for a number of years, do I have to make up the deficiencies?

A Yes. If an applicant has had their transcripts evaluated by NCEES Credentials Evaluations and the report indicates that there are deficiencies in the curriculum, the deficiencies must be made up before the application will be approved. Coursework must be made up at a college or university that has an ABET accredited engineering or surveying program. Coursework must be completed in accordance with ABET’s Criteria for Accrediting Programs in Engineering in the United States.

Applicants may make up deficient coursework by passing College Level Examination Programs (CLEP) tests. In order to receive credit for CLEP tests the course must be shown on an official college or university transcript indicating a passing score and full credit awarded. Also, if you have additional college course work not listed on your undergraduate transcript or you have earned a graduate degree, that course work will be evaluated by the Board in place of any deficiencies.